Friday, June 13, 2014

A Pen's Life

 
So, I have an assignment for my new writing class....giving thoughts to an inanimate object....so fun and gave me much to think about.  As a woman, how we punish ourselves as we age....comparing ourselves to younger, newer models!!  I am just now learning to find the beauty in my laugh lines, and the wisdom and experience in all of the parts of me that are shifting and changing with the passing of the years.  Yes, I can still shop in the Junior's department, but I don't have to look exactly like the Juniors who are shopping there!  Instead, I can look at these young women as my mentees, and share my wisdom that I have gained as I stumbled through the last 43 years...my accomplished moments, my embarrassing moments, my crowning glory moments.  It is my rite of passage to guide those who are coming after me, not to envy them.

So here it is, my assignment:
 
 It is a pen.  A ballpoint pen.  This pen has a dual purpose….to help humans communicate the written word, and to advertise for Days Inn.  This pen is a mature pen, having been in the possession of its current user for more than two years, and considers itself well traveled and accomplished in its duties.  It is proud of its bright white color and wears the blue and yellow Days Inn logo like a churchgoer in her Sunday best.

It has endured numerous moves to different handbags, and has since retired to the kitchen junk drawer after it lost its cap to the family dog.  This pen’s resume is extensive and its experience ranges from jotting phone numbers onto paper towels to checking off homework assignments to filling out important papers for school admissions and doctors appointments. 

Now this seasoned veteran of writing utensils finds itself sitting at the kitchen table next to a brand new Uni ball pen.  This newcomer has a fancy rubber grip, a beautiful smooth cap with a shiny silver clip, and a fresh supply of ink in a magnificent fuchsia pink that rolls onto the paper from its newfangled roller ball tip. This older pen sighs as it looks at the rookie, and honorably takes on the role of mentor.  It doesn’t mind being compared to the newer, fresher model.  Proud of its scratches, chew marks, and receding ink line, it is ready to pass the torch and take some much needed vacation time. 

This pen’s advice to me would be:  “Love your journey to this point in your life….your successes as well as your failures….as they have all helped to shape you into this beautiful being full of wisdom.  Take pride in your battle scars and humbly accept your calling to educate those who will walk in your footsteps.”

No comments:

Post a Comment